Meditation is often recommended as a way to become more self aware and more compassionate, but research is finding that it is also linked with health benefits.
You are unique and so is your body! Before starting any new health routine, always be sure to talk with your doctor to make sure it is right for your needs.
What is Meditation?
Meditation is a set of techniques that enhance attention, emotional awareness, kindness, sympathetic joy, and mental calmness even in difficult situations. Some people find that regular meditation practice helps them be kind to themselves and more caring towards others. It can also teach you to be a little less reactive when tough situations arise.
Health Benefits of Meditation
- Stress, anxiety & depression
- High blood pressure
- Pain management
- Improved sleep quality
- Weight control and healthy eating habits
- Emotional health support
How to Meditate
There are many different meditation techniques that range from simple to more complex. But we recommend you start with a simple practice that you can work into your regular routine over time. You can do this daily at the same time, even if it’s just one or two minutes to start out. Over time, you will build discipline and skill with practice. Follow these steps for meditation:
- Sit or stand in a calm, quiet place with eyes closed.
- Set a time limit, especially if you’re just starting out. It can be as few as 1-2 minutes.
- Make sure you are in a stable, comfortable position.
- Observe your torso expanding and contracting with your breathing.
- Or you can feel the sensation of breath inside your nostrils with each inhalation and exhalation.
- When your breath focus is stable, you can shift to noticing thoughts, emotions, sensations, and sounds as they rise and dissolve in your mind.
- Notice when your mind wanders, which will happen. Don’t be hard on yourself when your mind goes elsewhere – just note where your mind drifted and then gently return your attention to your breath.
Ending Your Meditation
When you end your meditation, take a few deep breaths and bring your awareness back to your body. You can end by offering a prayer that all your daily activities will be filled with peace, and visualizing each activity being successful. Or you can end with a prayer of gratitude for the good things in your life. Feel yourself present in your body.
Let Us Help You Embrace the Journey
At Baer-Fit, our certified trainers work closely with you to understand your unique fitness goals and design customized workout and meal plans to get you there. Not only do we provide you with the roadmap to get you where you want to go, but we are with you each step of the way, holding you accountable and celebrating all the milestones.
To learn more, visit our Contact page and send us a message! We can’t wait to learn more about you.